Friday 3 December 2010

Lattice smocking on a t shirt Burda style 08-2010

I have made several of these t shirts, does this make it a TNT? Anyway, after thinking this super soft and clingy bamboo viscose jersey from Gorgeous fabrics was only useful for super soft and comfy knickers ( which I make, but tend not to expose on my blog for some Victorian reason of reticence), I have to eat my words. I love, love, love this t shirt with lattice smocking on this super soft fabric(North American smocking, or counter change smocking - lattice pattern - sources Threads Magazine 2010, Australian smocking and Embroidery magazine 2009, smocks and smocking published 1972 - etc etc)
SDC10095
The last time I smocked a t shirt I used the traditional English Smocking method of applying the smocking to the pattern - lying the pattern piece over the smocking and cutting it out, on grain.
I have worn this t shirt frequently, and it is one of those garments that other people notice, and comment about favourably. Naturally this meant that I was inspired to make another one. :)

This time, I felt that a less traditional method would be appropriate, which really means that I did not want to smock 8- 10 rows before cutting out. I smocked two rows of horizontal, rather than vertical lattice smocking,using a one inch grid, then draped the neckline using my dress form, Genevieve, to achieve a pleasing fall of fabric.
SDC10075
Not trusting this draping at all, I overlocked the upper portion of the bodice to an on -grain stay, cut from the same fabric, cut out using the pattern piece photographed here.
SDC10076
It took about 10 minutes to sew the rest of this t shirt.
SDC10078
Getting out the overlocker and the coverstitch machine is hardly worth it for one garment, so I whipped up a t shirt Vogue 2925 (oop) from a more stable cotton-lycra knit.
SDC10110
20 minutes max. I love tested t shirt patterns.
It looks better with the scarf that my mum gave me,
SDC10115
but this sort of sewing is sooo much faster and more satisfying than shopping. It's a pity I prefer fiddly sewing with wovens.

19 comments:

KID, MD said...

Both tops are wonderful and look great with your skirt. I saw that lattice smocking in Threads, and even my hubby (who was peering over my shoulder at what I was reading) thought it looked cool. It is a great touch on this tee!

Ann Brodsky said...

That is a GORGEOUS t-shirt! I wish I had that issue of Threads. I also love your scarf choice- perfect with the second top.

Lauren said...

Definitely two major winners! I've been on a knit kick lately for precisely the reason you say, a few hours for a few new pieces is way better than shopping! I'm really loving your scarf styling, I'm headed to rummage through my scarf collection right now to copy you.

Audrey said...

Wow, Great T shirts and lots of clever ideas. I particularly like the process of smocking first and then draping the smocked fabric on the dress form, and using the straight grained stay underneath the top. Thanks for sharing.

SewRuthie said...

Very nice! A lurve the smocked T shirts.

Mary Nanna said...

That neckline is really beautiful. Very classical goddess looking, how many people could achieve that look from a tee shirt?

Mary Beth said...

I love this! Brilliant, inspiring as usual.

Anonymous said...

I love that smocked tee! I am yearning to run out to the fabric store and buy a jillion lovely knits... sadly I tend to find that the knit selection is both limited and pricey. /sigh.

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

Both tops are gorgeous. I've never seen that type of smocking before. I can understand why you get many compliments on it. And the other tshirt. 20 minutes??? Wow. That's incredible, and it fits perfectly.

Marie said...

Wow. That smocked tee is amazing. It looks fabulous,

katherine h said...

That smocking detail looks fabulous! Interesting t-shirts are the most versatile garments to have in a wardrobe. I'd like to copy this idea, but I have never smocked before.

Gay McDonell said...

Yes, the smocked tee looks really great - a designer feature - and your other one fits beautifully - you're on a winner!

a little sewing said...

Both of your knit tops are great, but the smocked top is really special. Love the scarf, too.

Carolyn said...

Both your new Tshirts are gorgeous, and I notice they go beautifully with the new skirt! I can see why you've received so many compliments.
These deep and muted colours all look utterly fabulous on you, btw...

Sharon said...

Beautiful tops and your smocking is wonderful.

Kyle said...

That smocking is really pretty!

liza jane said...

The smocking and shirt are beautiful! I want one!

Gail said...

Smocking is definitely making a comeback. Love the effect you have achieved on the first tshirt.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

LOVE that neckline. Wow. So gorgeous and flattering, but not overwhelming. If you're ever up to doing a tutorial... *hint hint*